Wednesday, November 12, 2008

WHAT STOOD OUT - INSTALLMENT 1

I was on vacation with my husband and was fortunate enough to have attended the convention in Denver and I was so inspired by that that I told him that I would stay in Miami until the election to work on the Obama campaign instead of returning with him to DRC in September as planned. And so that's what I did and I just got back to Congo two days ago. It was a truly amazing experience of reconnecting to my country which I've been away from for 14 years. I canvasssed in the poorest neighborhoods in Miami and what I was most struck by was the fact that just about every other black man was an ex-felon who could not vote. I ended up taking up some of their cases and following up with Tallahassee to see if they had had their rights restored but alas, it takes almost two years! Unbelieveable!!!!! Perhaps now that there is a black man in the white house, he can stop them from getting arrested with such frequency and apparently for no good reason.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

inshaallah he will do that
I hope that u will be a secretary state soon...u deserve more
take care
love and light from Jordan